We have have been looking at preschools for Malachy for the past couple of weeks. It made me realize I have never even written about Malachy's current school.
Wednesday, February 2nd, Malachy had his first day of preschool...and it was such a non event, I sometimes forget that I used to tear up at the idea of him going to school. For months I talked tough about how I would be pushing him out the door to go to preschool, but when we went to the preschool fair with my mommy group, I started crying while we talked to the first preschool representative. Jake never let me live it down.
When the day came for him to go though, it was a different story altogether. Mal was completely excited to go. We told him a million times about school and that we would not be there, and he would nod his head, but I was sure that when it was time for us to leave, he might have a little issue with it. He didn't want to take a first day of school picture. I took one anyway. Jake was very sick (we learned 2 days later that it was strep), Mal would not smile for the picture and so the only cheerful person that day was me...and I was the one behind the camera. We walked over as a family with sick Jake, grumpy Mal who had been awake since 4:45 and nervous me.
| Not the sweet 1st day of school picture I had hoped to get |
When we got to the school, Mal ran in and was ready to play. He bounced from station to station blowing bubbles, going down the slide and most importantly discovering the back hoe in the giant sand box. We hung out for a few minutes and then took our cue to leave. Other parents were saying goodbye and kids were crying. We approached Mal gingerly. "OK Bug. We are going to go now. But we will be back."
| On the climbing structure / slide |
He looked back from the water table for a second and mumbled, "Oh, don't go," almost as if he thought he was supposed to say that because all the other kids did. He then turned back to the water table and never looked back at us.
I stayed in the observation room to watch him with all of the other nervous parents. He did magnificently. There was so much for him to do, he did not notice we were gone.
When school was over and I came to get him, he ran out the door with arms extended shouting, "MOMMMMMYYYYYY!!!" He gave me a huge hug. It felt good to have him do excited to see me. It's an honor usually reserved for Jake when he comes home from work. He then looked up at me, "Do you know the Hokey Pokey?!?" They did the Hokey Pokey during circle time and it was as if this is what he had been waiting for his whole life. When I told him I did indeed know the Hokey Pokey, he just looked up at me wide eyed and said, "uh-huh." I guess that is what it's all about.
| Mal with teacher Gary and "Moody" |
Mal's enthusiasm for school has not waned a bit. He asks when he is going to go to school again. On the days he is not there, he want to play school and he pretends to be his friend Teacher Gary. Sadly, this program he is in is for 2-3 year olds only, so he will have to switch next year. Here's hoping he stays this excited about school
No comments:
Post a Comment