Saturday, April 2, 2011

Little Man Down

A few days ago, Mal told us he wasn't feeling too well and that he needed some medicine.  He said it in a really cute way, and I feel guilty for it now, but I laughed at him.  I thought he was trying to get in on the action because his sisters have been sick...and he LOVES the sweetness of medicine (maybe we should indulge him in a few more sweets).

To make my guilt worse, I should have known for sure something was up when he voluntarily laid down in his crib very quietly for almost an hour listening to a new CD.  Sitting at the computer wasting time on Facebook with a cup of coffee that was actually warm, I basked in the calm of the house and thought, "WOW, he must really like that new CD."  I was foolishily thinking, maybe I can get him to do this every day.  Ha!

Later in the day when he registered his first fever ever, (followed by waking up drenched in sweat), I actually realized that our little man was sick.

I called the doctor, and we could not get in to see her until the next afternoon.  The next day, our happy energetic little guy was a shell of himself.  I gave him every one of his favorite foods, but he could not manage to swallow any of them.  I even took him to Jamba Juice for a smoothie.  He thought we were going to the doctor.  I told him we were actually going to the smoothie store.  When he asked me the name of the store, and I responded, he laughed hysterically saying, "that's funny".  Apparently, he thought I said Pajama Juice.  He changed it up a bit and they will forever be known to our household as "Pajamba Juice".  Sadly, he could not even drink his smoothie.

Final diagnosis: Strep Throat has hit us again.  There is no explanation as to why it is hitting us 3 weeks apart from one another other than maybe we are in contact with a "carrier".  Both the doctor and I looked at Jake when she said that.  Jake, sick of being blamed as the carrier of all illness in the house, was quick to have her rule him out.

Although Mal got his wish of getting some medicine, he really does not like taking it (of course when he needs it the most).  We are trying all the old tricks, but he is a little smarter than we are sometimes.

For now, I am going to be happy that little man is on the mend, but I am still enjoying the fact that as I type, he is voluntarily laying down listening to his new CD again.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, poor baby. Hope you're felling better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strep throat is such a drag! Maybe Mal would like to come over with his Pajamba Juice and try Finn's "pickle agua" (the name he came up with for Nicaraguans). Hope you all get better soon.

    ReplyDelete