Mal loves to make up games to play. He has 3 main people around who play / make up games with him. When he finds a game that he really likes to play, he usually tries to explain it to the other adult playmates in his life so that everyone can get in on the fun.
Grandma and Grandpa Sarasohn are here for the week. On the very first day, I woke up and came out to Malachy trying to explain the rules of one of his favorite games to his grandpa.
Listening to him explain the "rules" for his favorite games always cracks me up. This particular morning, he was trying to explain to his Grandpa Howard the game "Who's knocking at my door?" Grandpa was not getting it as quickly as Mal wanted him to...and the parts he did do were not exactly right. Mal would explain the first part of the game, and then assume Grandpa knew the rest. When the "game" went off track after the first step, he would then tell Grandpa the next part and try to direct him. Things would not go right again. More explanation, so on and so on. I finally had to step in and explain.
Grandpa was not getting it because it's not really a game, and it's ridiculous. For some reason though, Mal thinks it is so much fun. I have had to explain "Who's knocking at my door" to both Jake and Gillian after Mal grew tired of them messing it up. Everyone I have explained it to looks at me like, "What's the point?" Maybe he is just trying to recreate a fantastically fun morning in his life. Here is how it goes:
"Who's knocking at my door"
Malachy goes into another room, usually the sun room, closes the door behind him and then knocks on it.
I (or other adult willing participant) open the door and look around while asking in a totally silly and loud voice, "Who's knocking at my door?"
While I am looking around, Mal is "hiding", which is really him laying on the ground off to the side with his head down and covered by his hands. If he can't see you, you can't see him (or hear all his giggling).
I exclaim, "Oh, no one is here," and close the door.
He then pops up, opens the door and tries to scare you with his scary face.
I run away.
repeat.
Funnest "game" ever, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment