Thursday, April 14, 2011

The king of gross

Warning: this post falls firmly into the category of TMI.

Maybe it is the extra time he has been spending with Jake (who loves to encourage talk of boogers and farts), but the gross out factor has been a little higher around here this week.

I used to question whether or not kids could actually smell anything gross.  I mean, how can they sit in a dirty diaper, or deny having a dirty diaper when you ask them about it if they could actually smell how gross it is?  In our on going half hearted attempt to potty train Malachy, Jake often "invites" him to come along when he is going into the bathroom.  The other morning, Jake asked him if he wanted to come as he was on the way in.  Mal was busy pestering me, so he didn't want to go.  Jake then asked him if he wanted to come and flush the toilet.  Upon hearing that offer, Mal jumped up and started running towards the bathroom.  Halfway there, he stopped dead in his tracks and yelled into Jake, "No thank you.  It's too stinky."  I guess he can smell after all.

Speaking of Malachy's nose, we at one time wondered if he would ever take his finger (or fingerS) out of his nose.  Fortunately, he has been a lot less interested in his nostrils, but for some reason, he has renewed interest in them this week.  At least 3 times this week, he has told me to look at him during a meal.  Once I looked over, and he had shoved a pea up one nostril.  The next time, he had a pea in each nostril.  I couldn't help but laugh.  The last time, he had a blueberry up there, and I had to help with the extraction.  

He has also been interested in picking his nose again.  While I was reading to him yesterday, he was hard at working picking his nose.  I was fully engrossed in the 7,000th reading of I Spy, Runaway Robot (I wish that book would be "lost"), so I did not notice him digging away, until he told me he had wiped a booger on my leg.  Great.  I wiped my gift off, and continued to read.  He then interrupted me again to ask me why no more boogers were coming out.  He was digging away and wanted more boogers to appear.  I really thought we were over all this nose picking.  

To top it all off, he made up a song tonight at dinner about how broccoli has a body and pees when it is not wearing a diaper.  

I really hope this is just a boy thing.  I am not sure how much more burping and farting and boogers I can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment