We were solo last Wednesday. Gillian texted in sick in the morning. I had a ton to do, and I knew I was going to be solo in the evening also since Jake had Open House at school. Good thing I had a freshly bewed pot of coffee and my little helper Malachy.
He seems to know when I need him to step up and keep it together. He takes his role of big brother pretty seriously. A lot of times when a kid says they want to "help", it is anything but helpful. There are definitely times when the help is more work, but he has also turned into a good helper in lots of areas. He grabs diapers for me, puts things in the garbage can, he picks up all the cheerios off the floor after the girls eat. He even helps out when I don't ask him to...
The girls try to grab the spoon when I am feeding them. To distract them, they are given a decoy spoon.
Tegan dropped her spoon. I asked Malachy to pick it up. He was more than willing to help.
Later in the meal, she dropped it again. I asked Mal to pick it up again.
He trudged over. "Sure," he said.
He brought the spoon back to her.
As he was handing the spoon back to her, he looked her in the eye and said in a very calm, but grown-up voice, "Tegan, I picked the spoon up for you this time, but if you drop it again, that's it. I am not picking it up anymore."
Tegan did not drop the spoon again.
No comments:
Post a Comment