Thursday, June 16, 2011

Surprised? Excited?

Lailah has a very expressive face.  You know exactly what is going on with her at all times.  She has this one face that she has been doing for a few weeks now though that we can't quite figure out:
The face
She used to just randomly do it, but now she does it to get a reaction from us.  We laugh and do it back to her.  It's her way of engaging us when we aren't paying direct attention to her.  She also likes to do it with me when I am trying to put her to bed.  She has now realized it is funny and giggles after she does it.

Jake called it her "O" face.  I raised my eyebrow when he said that, which made him pause and think about what he had said.  I gave him the look.  The wheels started turning and that phrase has not been uttered again. It became her surprised face, or excited face.  Now it is just the face.

There's that SAME face!
Last night I was reading Goodnight Gorilla to the girls and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  We got to the page where the wife wakes up surprised to find a bunch of animals in her room.  Lailah was giggling.

 This is the face.  I wonder if she recognizes or makes the connection that this is the same face she makes.  Maybe this is why she likes this book so much.

Either way, it's funny to see her sense of humor develop.  I love her face whether she is acting goofy or looking sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We love reading that book to the guys and making a big dramatic deal when the wife realizes what's going on. Lailah does look just like her! Hopefully there are no gorillas or mice w/ bananas sneaking into her crib!

    ReplyDelete