Jake and I love our house and we love our neighborhood, but we hate the fact that it is so far from our families. It wasn't too big of a deal before we had kids, but now that we have kids, we really want them to have a close relationship with their grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles. On the other hand, now that we have so many kids, it is increasingly difficult to travel with them...especially the 3 hour drive to Fresno.
 |
| The boys eating bacon and watching cartoons |
As such, it has been a little over a year since we were in Fresno last. In the past week, Malachy and I have gone to Fresno two times. We had a quick visit and saw Grandma for her birthday and then we were there for another quick visit this weekend. While I was really excited to see my family, I was most excited to see Malachy and Nicholas together and to meet my newest nephew Payton.
 |
| The truffle shuffle |
Mal and Nick are only 2 months apart in age. When they were babies, it was a huge age difference, (although Mal was always physically so much bigger it was comical), but now they are two energetic and goofy boys who like to play. Neither one is too keen on standing still enough to get a decent picture, in fact it may be some genetic characteristic to try to ruin a shot, but I did manage to capture some of their shennanigns.
 |
| Oh, so THAT'S how you play |
 |
| piano playing with Cory |
 |
| The wee yougest Canty - Payton |
 |
| dogpile with grandpa |
Aside from being so happy to see the family and my nephews, one of the things that made me happy was to see what a great traveler Malachy was. The last time we had spent 3 hours in a car with him was pretty tough. This time, he looked at it like an adventure. He was excited about everything we did and was happy to have a change of pace. For as much as Malachy loves his routine at home, he did great with living on the fly.
Mal was great in the car too. By the second trip, he was a pro and knew what to expect. I set him up in his seat with a snack and a drink and his bedtime accessories and he was good to go. "It's a long drive to Fresno isn't it Mom," he said to me. "I should just go to sleep." Within minutes he had closed his eyes and was asleep. I am not sure I could have asked for anything more.
Malachy had a great time seeing his family and wants to go back again soon. Hopefully next time we can all make it there together.
 |
| mango sorbet |
Mal was so great. He seemed to have no problems at all adjusting to his new surroundings. He likes sleeping with his mom, and thinks that grandma's bed is very soft and a great place to watch cartoons. It was really cool to watch him and his cousin Nick figure out how to share, and there really wasn't too many scuffles over toy's. But they really bonded over bacon. As it should be.
ReplyDelete