Thursday, June 9, 2011

Silly Gilly

We had a sad day on Thursday saying goodbye to our helper/nanny/babbysitter Gillain.  Jake is home for the summer, and our intent was to have temporary help all along, but then suddenly summer was here, and the reality of saying goodbye to someone who was with us all these months hit.

Helping Gillian blow out the candles on the best
birthday cake ever that he made for Gillian
I always had mixed emotions about having someone in the house with me every day, but I also knew I would not be able to give the kids the care and love they deserve without some help.  Gillian gave me the breaks I needed for my sanity, allowed me to get out of the house with just Malachy, or just the girls and was a very loving caregiver to all the kids.

Gillian became Malachy's best friend.  He calls her Silly Gilly.  They went on adventures together and played lots of games.  When Gillian first started coming, Malachy was reluctant to play with anyone who wasn't Jake or I, but he quickly came to look forward to the days that Gillian came.  Seeing so many smiles from the kids as she played with them was wonderful.

The past few weeks, Gillian has come less and less, and last week she just came to spend the morning with Malachy.  They went to the park and then went to In-n-Out for their shared favorite food: french fries.  I don't think Mal really understood that it was Gillian's last day.

Jake is here now for the summer, so I know Mal and the girls don't miss the attention so much, but I know Mal will miss the particular silliness that Gillian brought.  He always tells me about Gillian when he sees her favorite color (orange) and I heard him telling Lailah a story about an adventure they had together.  Gillian has a new family to work for now, so we really won't see her too much, but I have a feeling she will be around from time to time to see her best friend Malachy.

No comments:

Post a Comment