Sunday, May 22, 2011

Things Mal says: a random collection of his sayings

An ex-coworker of mine recently became a grandmother.  She is so excited and happy and I am very happy for her.  Being a grandparent seems like the best thing in the world.  Sometimes I think, I would like to skip over the sleep training and potty training and rebelliousness teenage years and just become a grandparent, but then Mal turns to me and says, "I am very grown up now," and I think, "NO! STOP!  Don't grow up!"  It's all going too fast.

We had  our very first parent teacher conference for Malachy on Monday.  Mal's preschool is a SJSU run "Toddler Lab".  It is like a 2 hour playdate for him, and the students in the childhood development program staff the school classes as part of their schooling curriculum.  The class requires each student to observe one child in the class to write about.

One of the things that the main teacher and the student teachers who observed Malachy pointed out during the conference is that Malachy never stops talking. We of course already knew this.  It sometimes exhausts me.  He is my mini Howard Cosell, commentating on everything he sees.  This week, in addition to noting the fact that he is "very grown up now," I tried to take note of some of the funny things Mal says.

In the category of things he has said that amaze me:
Mommy, can you move that laundry basket down so I have more room to sit in the purple chair?
     -Kind of a long sentence for a little kid I think.
I don't want to pick out books while you throw my diaper away, I want to pick out books after you throw my diaper away.
     -He was trying to buy more time before taking a nap.  I was impressed with his logic here.
I can't sleep with all this mess in here.  Can you clean my room so I can sleep better?
     -Funny he was not too interested in cleaning up the books all over the floor earlier...
I am moving my chair to reach my alarm clock, but you are in my way, so I will have to crash into you.
     -pretty good understanding of sequence and cause and effect.


Reflective Malachy:
I had been shushing Mal all afternoon as he was jumping around while his sisters were sleeping.  He had too many ants in his pants and he woke up his sister.  I didn't say anything to him about it.  He can't help himself sometimes.  We were at the store later and Lailah was pretty fussy.  He asked me why and I told him it was because she was tired.  He looks up at me and said, "I'm sorry I woke Lailah up from her nap."

Funny things he says:
This guy thinks he is pretty funny
Dude
Or something like that
     -As in, I think that's a garbage truck...or something like that.  or, I think I want waffles for breakfast, or something like that.  He says this all the time right now.
Check it out.
Do you get it?  hahaha
     -as in, do you get the joke he was telling...only, it is never really a joke.  He is really trying to figure out when you use this one.
Oh. My. Goodness!
     -gag me with a spoon while you are at it.
Are you kidding me?!?  Are you serious?!?
     -As in: Waffles for breakfast, are you kidding me?!?  Pretty much any statement he makes is followed by, "or something like that," or "are you kidding me," or "oh. my. goodness."
Ummm, I wasn't talking to you.  OR But Mom, I'm talking to you.

...and my favorites

I am having a lot of fun out with you today.
Mommy, you look very pretty.


I apparently have a very grown up, sassy, reflective valley boy for a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment