Saturday, July 16, 2011

The boy's got jokes

A few weeks ago, Mal tried to tell me a joke.  It was lame.

"Mommy, Tegan can say Mama and Dada.  Do you get it?  hahahahahaha"
He thought it was hysterical.
I thought it was funny that he said, "Do you get it?"

Fast forward to us playing hide in the closet.  He knocks.  I open the door and look for him.  I was sick of looking for him and I was trying to put away laundry.  I attempted a knock knock joke with him.  He laughed, although I wasn't sure he really understood it.  I taught him how to say it and we practiced it over and over again.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

For about a week, he got a kick out of telling people his joke, only he didn't always get it right.  He would either say the whole thing (including the other persons part), or he would say "orange you glad you're not a banana," and my favorite mess up:


Knock, knock
Who's there?
Yellow.

Clearly he didn't get it.  I taught him another one.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
It's OK, there's no need to be sad.

This time he got it and told correctly to everyone he could.  Every time he would laugh so hard.

But it's been a week or so...I asked him to tell Pens and Jeff his jokes today.  He messed them up worse than he ever has.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
It's OK, there's no need to be sad.

He really is his funniest when he isn't trying to be funny at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment