Saturday, March 19, 2011

Suicide Mission

It was raining today...and it's going to rain for the next 10 days.  I used to think rainy weather was kind of cool.  I could cuddle up on the couch and read a book, or watch a movie.  Now it is just pure torture.  Finding ways to entertain your kids during rainy weather sucks.  I can go stomp in puddles with Malachy, but not for TOO long, and then there is the clean up afterwards. The girls aren't quite old enough to puddle stomp yet, so that is no good for them...and while they don't have quite as much energy as Malachy, they do benefit from some outside time as much as we can manage.

This afternoon, cabin fever was setting in, Jake wanted to nap and I needed to go to the grocery store.  In an impulsive act of pure stupidity, I bundled up the kids and loaded them up into the car with my grocery list.  It was off to Safeway with us...on a weekend...in the rain...total suicide mission.

There are no carts big enough for the kids, so I was trying to figure out how to get them all in and through the store.  I settled on leaving the girls in their car seats, putting them into the snap-n-go and having Malachy walk along side me.  I was going to try to juggle a hand cart as well to hold the groceries.

Malachy is too young to read this, but if he does one day see this, I would like to thank him for being the best 2 year old in the store ever.  He wanted to be helpful, which sometimes is a little tricky, but he was fantastic.   He ended up holding the basket (although 95% of the groceries went into the storage basket under the girls in the stroller).  Mal fed the girls baby crackers, gave them their bottles, picks up dropped toys, put groceries into the stroller and mostly listened to me.  He was also adorable, which was good when there was so much attention on us walking up and down each aisle.

After paying (and saving 64% according to the receipt), we ran back to the car through the rain, with Malachy "helping" push the stroller.  We made it out of there with no melt downs or tears.  As a reward to Malachy, I let him push the button in the car that closes the door.  He talked about it all night long.

I'm wondering what crazy thing cabin fever is going to drive me to do later this week...

2 comments:

  1. I haer you about the cabin fever. Note that we just tiled our basement in squishy, skull-friendly stuff. The door is always open, and we'll keep the Thomas at the ready. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Be careful about that invitation. We are a pretty chaotic group to have over ;) ...although I totally want to check out the padded room. Might be perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete