Sunday, October 21, 2012

Romance Language

Malachy started going to a Spanish Immersion preschool about a month ago.  After a tricky first couple of weeks, he has amazed us with not only his enthusiasm for his new school, but how much Spanish he has picked up in such a short period of time (he only goes 2 days a week until December).  He now has the girls counting in Spanish and singing the clean up song in Spanish.  We are now a Spanglish speaking household.

After picking him up from school on Friday, he told me all about how it was Maestra Carmina's birthday on Saturday and how we had to make her a card.  After waking up from his nap, he again started telling me how he had to make a great card for Maestra Carmina to give to her for her birthday.  As he worked on his card for over an hour, he went on and on about the wonderful Maestra Carmina and how she was going to love the card from him.  I think the boy has his first teacher crush. Maestra Carmina is pretty dreamy, but I wonder if his new found love of the Spanish language may have something to do with his new love interest.

I sat with him while he was working on his masterpiece.  "You like Maestra Carmina a lot, don't you?" I asked him.
"Yeah." he said in a mushy voice.  His face softened a little.  "She is really nice and teaches me a lot of Spanish.  I like her a lot."  He continued, "Sometimes she is like you."
I smiled and lit up a little. "How is she like me?"
"Sometimes she says NO!" he said sternly.

Aye Carumba!

1 comment: